31 August 2010

Family Discovered

How often has this happened to you ... you're at work having lunch with a group of co-workers and you discover one of them is a relative?  That is exactly what happened to me a few years ago!

Picture this: A group of 8 or 9 women having lunch and talking when someone asks a question about growing up Italian. Since her family has been in the U.S. for many generations, she cannot answer and since I don't look Italian, no one thinks to ask me.  Well imagine their surprise when I tell them that I am half Italian. The discussion changes to my family and where they are from in Italy (Udine) and until this day, I had never found anyone else with family from Udine, Italy. As our conversation continues about our grandparents, she mentions her mother keeps in touch with her cousin in Arizona ... where my parents currently live. Then we talk names and discovered we are related. My grandmother and her grandfather are siblings and we are cousins!

Zilli Family & Del Zotto Family



It just goes to show you that you never know where or when you will find family. You just have to keep looking.

1 comment:

  1. That was a great story. Although my grandfather (1891-1923) had a lot of siblings, I never knew any of them due to his early death. I have found a few via genealogy.

    I have been to Udine, a beautiful town on the Adriatic Sea near Slovenia/Croatia.

    ReplyDelete